Thursday, June 24, 2010

Another weekend of fun suffering...

So we headed up to Salida Colorado to hang out with a bunch of family and do some races...Salida is an awesome little mtn town and every year they have this huge festival called FIBARK...its a ton of hippies and boaters from all over, but they have some fun running races and just added a MTB race last year (score!). I always look foward to this weekend and its killer training since salida is at about 8,000 feet elevation! So first race is the HILLCLIMB...its a gnarly 1.25mile race stright up "tenderfoot" hill and straight back down. My uncle was basically "the dude" back in the 80's on this race (its been happening since the 40's i think) so this race is fun and it was one of the first races i ever did when i was a kid. So ive raced it like 10-12 times....I've won it the last 5 times i have done it (and actually have the current record at 10:32). I did a hard 2.5hr workout the day before so i was worried the legs wouldn't fire like i needed, but they did. I won the race and did 11:08. Coming down is where you actually win or lose this race. Some kid beat me to the top by 5-10sec. Saturday was the 5k road race...pretty flat, but its at 8,000 feet so no one is setting any PR's...went out fast and let this guy (kid) catch me and then we ran the entire race side by side...he outkicked me at the end, so i was second in 17:44. After the race i talked to him and found out he runs at Tennessee and runs the mile...i had no chance! Sunday was the MTB race...i was super excited to do this race. The day before i rode one lap (6.5 miles and 1100ft climbing) of the course and knew it was gonna be a tough day. The race started at 10:30 and was already in the mid 80's when we started. I had a secret weapon though...i left my thin baselayer soaked in the ice cooler and put it on right before the start. There was only like 15 of us in the "cat1/open" field, but i knew a couple of the local guys would be flying. I was taking it easy for the first bit but some LOC dude decided to light it up right away...so i had to keep him close. It was basically a long loose fire road climb (almost 1000ft)...then gnar tech steep downhill, then flat, then down to start/finish area. The 2 local dudes made work of me on the downhill on the first lap...i was close enough top see them starting second lap. My plan was to make a move on the climb second lap. I had Becca hand me big plastic cups of ice water in the fead zone (secret weapon #2) ...we started 2nd lap and once we hit the climb i dropped the 2 dudes like a hot pan. First dude was fried and 2nd dude kept me in sight...i know they could go down faster than me so i needed to grind the climb. Started my last lap in the lead and took more ice and 2 fresh bottles (it was in the 90's by then)...climbed hard but even pace. Rode the downhill carefull but fast as i could. Knew i had about 1-2 minutes on 2nd place so i was feeling good...had about 1/2mile to finish...then PSSSSSSSSS, my back tire was flat! Since i was almost to dirt road to finish i just cruised in the flat (had to run through a couple rock sections) pedaled through finish with flat tire....for the overall WIN!...2nd place was only 10sec behind me though! dang. So pumped the FELT carbon 9er...its killer. (Pics from the mountain mail paper in salida.)

Hillclimb (at top, then back down!)

No comments: